Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Chiclayo is Crazy

We have had a great and crazy week.  We have had a couple of baptismal interviews, work visits, and we have visited the rooms again with President this week.  Baptismal interviews are the best part of being a missionary.  This week I spoke with a 90 year old man named Juan.  He said that he still has at least 10 years more to live because his grandfather lived to be 140 years old.  But when we spoke my testimony of the word of wisdom grew.  He said that even though he recently is a member of the church he has almost always lived by this gospel principle.  He also told me a lot of cool stories of his time in the military and made me laugh a lot.

This week we also went out with Billy Brian Bravo to teach and it went really well.  Sadly he thinks that he needs to leave the country in a couple of weeks because of personal reasons.  He is a great guy, but it is sad to see that sometimes people are put into tough positions.

This week while we were contacting we have seen the weirdest things.  We met a guy named Jesus who said that he isn't Christian.  When I said that is weird he just said "Asi es la vida" or "Life is like that sometimes."  When I knocked on the next door someone stuck out a little baby doll hand to shake my hand, which freaked me out.  And in the same street we were contacting houses and when we were walking to the next house a kid runs out being chased by his dad with a belt.  Lets just say that we didn't have the chance to contact them...but Peru is crazy and I wish I could remember all the crazy things people do here.

I love serving here in Peru because the people are really great.  Even if we go to a store just to buy something to drink the people want to talk to us.  This week we met a man who literally cried when he spoke about how much he loved his family.  Also while we were half walk through the lesson he stopped us to ask "Where is your church?" and then "Can I go?"  I know that the Lord prepares hearts to receive our message.  They have the opportunity to accept or reject the gospel, but out Heavenly Father will always help prepare the hearts of men.

Love,
Elder Perryman

No comments:

Post a Comment