Monday, October 28, 2013

¡Viva Mexico!

My second companion is from Mexico!! Puebla to be exact, which is a city two hours away from Mexico City.  He is a lot of fun, but also doesn't know English, but he wants to learn.   He calls me "gringo loco" too from time to time. We seriously have super spiritual lessons together.  We even taught 11 lessons in one day, which is a lot.  It is interesting because we have about the same time on the mission (he has one more change than me) so we are a young companionship.  It is weird having to show him around and having to be the one to know the area, which is scary because I don't know the whole area perfectly (it is big).  We really have been striving to work more with the members this change, and so far it is going well.

This week though, I had the worst lesson of my mission.  We were teaching Feliciono about the Book of Mormon, and why it is important, and then he asked, "I know it is true, but why does just your church use this book?"  This question was gold, and we starting explaining when his wife came into the room.  I leaned to Elder Flores and explained to him that she was a member, but sometimes she has a lot of questions from her evangelical friends.  She then started to attack the Book of Mormon, asking question after question.  We were both shocked, we had answers to her questions, but she asked them quickly without really wanting a true response.  I told her that the only true way to know was to read it, ponder, and pray.  Without the faith we cannot know the will of God.   She continued asking questions and killed the spirit we had.  Even her husband (an investigator) defended the Book of Mormon, but she didn't want to listen.  We ended with a prayer and left feeling frustrated.

Luckily the next day we went to Pacanga the whole day and had wonderful lessons. We taught Piere and had lunch with his family too.  I love teaching recent converts, especially Piere because he wants to go on a mission.

It really is the testimonies of the people who have humbled themselves before God that helps keep me motivated.  Whenever I feel exhausted I think about how fulfilling this work is at the end of the day.

Te Amo
Elder Perryman



No comments:

Post a Comment