Monday, October 21, 2013


So another crazy week in Peru.  Which is good, because I always wonder what to write, but there is never an end to the things that go on down here.  We started this week with Family Home Evening in Pacanga.  Piere was baptized this Saturday so Pacanga is on its way to becoming a new area. Anyway we taught in the house of Hna Ana, who has a rock of a testimony.  Pres. Risso wants us to do a lot more work there.  We taught about being examples and rescuing those in need.  That really is missionary work, it is not baptizing, it is rescuing souls, members or not.

Anyway this was my last week with Elder Palacios and I will miss him as a companion, but I am excited to see what the future has in store.  This week we met Jesus and his wife.  Jesus is a inactive member, but he has a son now and is interested in having the gospel back in his life.  I hope that we can help his family out.  We weren't able to visit with Martina because she now has two jobs.  One working on the farms and the other selling bread, both are hard.  We did visit her kids a couple times to see how her family is doing.

I found out Wednesday that I would be going to Lima for my visa.  I was super excited because this meant I could see my group, but bummed because it meant I would miss the baptism of Piere.  Thursday in the morning we got up early to do service, which is easily the hardest work I have done here.  We put down a cement floor for a member.  Evening out a dirt floor is tough, and leveling out concrete is hard too, but mixing concrete is exhausting.  I loved it.  Below I have a picture of me afterward.  I truly enjoy working hard with members down here, it makes me appreciate so many gifts that I have in my life.  I always look up to the work ethic that my dad gave me.

Right after the service project I went back to Pueblo Nuevo, showered, took a car to Chepen, and then a bus to Chiclayo.  Most of my group was there, but every gringo guy was on the plane.  As we waited for the plane I met this a guy in the Chiclayo airport who couldn't speak Spanish.  His name was Julius and he looked like the rapper BoB.  He was from South Africa and had a sweet accent.  We talked about why he was there and then about missionary work.  He was super nice and had a lot of questions, but I think he was just a curious guy.  I shared a scripture with him and then told him about and the 13 articles of faith because he wanted to know the difference between our faith and other Christian religions.  Missionary work doesn't take breaks.  We reached Lima around 9pm and our hotel around 11pm.  I know what you are all thinking, that is later than 10:30pm.  Luckily there is an exception to that rule for travel.  I was so tired, but the Elders in my room stayed up a bit longer exchanging crazy mission stories.

We got up early in morning Saturday to go to immigrations.  We felt an earthquake too, which is the first one I have really felt noticeably in my life.  We then went to the "Spanish DMV" as I like to call it until 1pm.  I was hoping that we would have time to visit the temple, but I was let down.  We then got lunch and all chatted.  I talked with our driver, who is a super sweet guy.  He served his mission in Peru during the time they wouldn't let Gringos serve here and he had some crazy stories.  After lunch we went straight to the airport to return home.

Once we got into Chiclayo Elder Bowyer (my trip companion) and I stayed with the office missionaries.  We had dinner with them at a local burger place (the burgers here arent real) and statyed up talking with Elder Dalley, the financial secretary, until it was time for bed.  He was super sweet, but told us that he can't wait to get out of Chiclayo and go to a more remote area (he has been in Chiclayo for his whole mission so far).

We got back too late for the baptism, but I have a picture and I heard it was awesome.  I pleaded for Piere´s forgiveness for missing it on Sunday.  He just laughed and made me sit by him in class.  I am so blessed to have investigators like him.  He has so much potential as a kid (like me) with only 19 years of age.  I hope that I can visit this area when he is getting close to serving a mission (that's the dream).

I feel like this transfer flew by, and I can't wait to see what the next weeks have in store for me.  I know it is a fact that the harder you work in the mission the more fun you will have and the more time will fly.  I love it here, even when it is hard, I am thankful for my calling everyday.

Te Amo
Elder Perryman

No comments:

Post a Comment