Tuesday, August 27, 2013

I'm alive!!

So I am feeling so much better this week.  From Saturday night to Wednesday morning I was out of it last week.  It turns out I had a really bad fever which peaked at 103F, and a stomach infection.  Basically being sick on the mission is no fun because all I wanted to do was serve but I couldn't do anything.  I always had this weird experience of completely forgetting Spanish when my fever was bad.  Basically I have never been so grateful to be healthy.  God gives us obstacles so that we can appreciate our everyday blessings.

On Wednesday we had our zone conference.  I got all of my letters!! It was seriously like Christmas.  Some other the other Gringos also got letters (one Elder had his family send him taco bell hot sauce).  I felt so great reading them on the Cambi back to Pueblo Nuevo.  I am especially grateful for all that Becca wrote, it really boosted my spirits.  In the zone conference one of the Elders had me stand up and talk about how to find investigators and fellowship investigators with baptismal dates.  I was so nervous because even though I can understand everything pretty well, I am not super confident about my speaking.  I got up and was surprised how easily the Spanish came to me, the gift of tongues is something so real.  When I sat down one of the Latino missionaries said my Spanish was perfect (He was just being nice) but I know I can do anything through God, who strengthens me.  I just want to emphasize, that this wonderful work would not be possible without Heavenly Father assisting every missionary everyday.

I'm starting to love the culture here.  The other day we went on a run through the chacras (the farms here) and it was funny to see people give me looks like I was just a little out of place.  I am legit in a farming town, everyone works on the chacras.  The other day we were eating rooster at a members "house" and a rooster started running through my legs.  The member, Hno Huaman, told me that I was eating his brother.  They had so many animals, including guinea pig, and invited us to come back for cuy (guinea pig).  In Peru there are also street carts with meat or bread.  They do not mess around in the bakery department.  Also there is a dessert here called masamora, which every Peruvian loves.  It is this purple goop stuff that just looks like a booger, I am starting to get used to it.  Also they have crackers here which are like Ritz but they are called Kraps.

Every addresses each other by there first name, por ejemplo our land lord (Segundo Garrido) we just call Hermano Segundo.  I love this because I know that this is the same way Joseph Smith addressed everyone.  When you sneeze here instead of saying bless you people will say "salud" or health.  And if you sneeze twice people say "amor" (love) and "dinero" (money) for a third time.  My companion always sneezes twice and then fakes a third sneeze because he wants to be blessed with dinero.  My companion is great and we are starting to strengthen our relationship as I become more acquainted with the language.  Latinos look at rules a bit differently then we do in the states.  They are more "guidelines" here, but I follow all the rules that the mission president and the white handbook say.  Though from what I have heard/seen we have a very relaxed mission in terms of rules, which is the opposite of Sam's mission.

I have found that teaching by the Spirit is way more effective than teaching with a silver tongue.  The Spirit can pierce the heart of any man who is humble.  As I become more confident with teaching I try really hard to feel the spirit in every lesson.  One of our investigators, Marco, is about 20 and has a baptismal date in setiembre.  He is super humble and I love teaching him because he is so patient if I mess up a word or conjugation.  I actually love teaching youth way more, because they seem more willing to change then people more set in there ways.  Though we do have one investigator, Hno Jorge, who I love.  He is about 40 and he has such a strong testimony.  He attends church regularly and prays often.  The one obstacle that he has is that he needs a divorce and then needs to get married to his current partner.  We have a lot of investigators and recent converts we meet with everyday.  I love being in the homes of those we teach, there is just something about a home (no matter how humble it is) that brings the Spirit.

Te Amo
Elder Perryman

No comments:

Post a Comment