Monday, August 5, 2013

I made it!!!

This has officially been the longest week (week and a half)  of my life.  We woke up at 2:30 AM on Tuesday to catch an early morning flight to Chiclayo.  At the airport I grabbed breakfast with Elder Coons and we talked for a bit.  He was such a great companion, and a great man.  I am glad he is in my mission and I know he will be the AP in a matter of months.

When we arrived I was amazed at how small the Chiclayo airport was, it made the Idaho falls airport look massive.  We drove to the mission home and had a little breakfast.  All the missionaries (except for a few from Cajamarca) were there.  We had a brief meeting and met the president and our new companions.  My trainer is Elder Palacio, from Lima.  He is really nice and speaks no English.  No one really talked much with President Risso (no interviews or anything) he just kind of sent us off on our marry way.  We are assigned to work in Pueblo Nuevo, which is an incredibly humble town with wonderful people.  Elder Palacio and I went to the bus station with other missionaries in our zone and waiting for a bus.  Imagine a south American gray hound bus station.  I really needed to use the bathroom but as I walked I noticed that there was no toilet paper, and no seat.  Welcome to Peru (for real this time).  Hna. Batman (a sister in my district, and yes that is her real name) then told me that bathrooms here are not as good as the one in the bus station.  We took an hour and a half bus to Guadalupe, which is the center of our zone.  Then we took a cambi (a little van) to Pueblo Nuevo, and then a moto taxi to our room.  We dropped our stuff off and then Elder Palacios told me that we had work to do.

The next week after this moment was the most humbling time of my life.  I met The branch President, David Garrido and some other members.  We also gave a blessing and I did the anointing.  Everyone here has about 4 or 5 names so blessing can be a tad difficult for gringos.

I do not have time to write about everything that has happened in the past week, and there are already things I don't want to tell mom about.  The first few days I felt so alone, I didn't understand anyone, I was in a new world.  I relied heavenly on prayer.  This was a time where my faith was truly tested, I needed it.  Faith is crucial and this week has made me realize how real God is.  I know that I could not speak the amount of Spanish I can today without the help of God. The gift of tongues is real.  How happiness does not come from the world, but from heave.  I know that as we focus on our families and on Christ we will feel indescribable joy.

I have been setting many goals for myself and each time I accomplish one I feel closer to being a true missionary.  We were challenged on Friday at our Zone meeting to read PME (PMG) entirely by Wednesday.  I finished today and now I am challenging myself to read the whole Book of Mormon out loud in Spanish, in my first 12 weeks.  All things are possible through the Lord, who strengthens me.  Elder Greene, a gringo who has hit the year mark, told me that if I get rid of everything English I will learn Spanish faster.  It is my companions birthday soon so I will give him my English Book of Mormon.  

I have a bunch of random things written in my daily planer, too much for a single email.  But I will share a few things.  One of the members here, Pedro, my be the nicest happiest guy I have met in my life.  He served his mission in Columbia.  When I asked him what Columbia was like he said: "Its like Peru with beautiful women."  Every one drivers motorcycles and they are just called motos here. I have seen everything on a moto from 5 people to a mattress, to 15 feet of rebar.  It shows me how much ingenuity the people here have.  People here also park there motos in there "living rooms"  During language study we were going through vocab and one of the words was "conquer".  Elder Palacios looked at me and said "like, to conquer a woman".  I started laughing and then told him to never use that phrase and instead say "steal her heart".  The people here are so nice.  I cannot explain how gracious they are.  The other day we were walking and a member invited us in to share her birthday cake with her.  The "cake" was basically cornbread.  Also Mom thank you for the glow sticks, the little kids here love them.

I am so glad to be out here serving the Lord.  The people of Peru posses so much faith.  I did not understand how blessed my life was until I came down here.  I pray to God and count my blessings everyday.  There is a man in our ward, who has tremendous faith, who doesn't even have a door.  I cannot imagine thinking of a door as a blessing.  I know that the people here are prepared to here the gospel.  The first days were rough for me, but if they were easy I would have learned nothing.  I continually read the Invictus Poem president K gave me.  I know that God cares about every single one of his children.  It is amazing that even out here I know without a doubt in my mind that God is watching over me.

Te Amo,
Elder Perryman

PS I am sorry if I was scatter brained, a lot has happened this week.  Also these pictures are from the CCM and from when our bus broke down.

















No comments:

Post a Comment